Tuesday, July 26, 2011

food & friendship

Something I've learned about myself a little late in life is that I like entertaining. I like making friends feel special and surrounding them with thoughtfulness and love whether it be a lil bouquet of flowers next to the bed, a customized drink made by hand, nice linen napkins instead of paper and twinkly lights & candles. Last night was one of those nights with a handful of close girlie's coming over for a little Greek fiesta on the porch.



It's something that I think even surprises my husband a little. Mostly because he doesn't really see how it can be "fun" for me. I guess it looks like work to him and in some ways he's right but it's a work I have passion for. I've been really inspired by my friends who have welcomed me into their homes in recent years, showing me the way and passing me the torch. One of the things I love most about ladies is that they really know how to celebrate one another and create special moments together. With a good sized group of friends there is always a birthday, house warming or a just because it's been too long dinner or brunch that can always be anticipated. I know a lot of the ladies out there will agree that it's fun to have your friends over too!
For me, it starts with by sending (text/facebook/evite) the invitation. For me, I usually just have a concept at this point. A theme, mood, flavor profiles... Once I see who is coming the details start to come together. For some reason I just keep thinking GREEK! So I made the menu Greek salad with homemade dressing, Moussaka & pita. Luckily I think I can fit everyone around my outside table which means candles, a little tiny vase of flowers and a few throw blankets placed on chairs just in case! Since collecting glassware is a hobby of mine and basically my sole purpose for flea marketing, I'll put out different glasses on a tray near the wine so there is no confusion over who's is who's or need for a wine charm. I love giving something quick to pick at while friends arrive and inevitably wait around for the last guest (usually my sister who is rushing over after a long day of styling). Last night it was an herbed brie, crackers, figs and some nuts.




I live in my mind a lot and having friends over for a meal is like a mental math problem that I get to solve in the days leading up to it. Mental lists (and scribbled post its), looking up recipes to tweak as well as timing & prepping it is all part of the fun. Working a 9-5 requires thinking ahead so the night before I prepped all the layers for the moussaka and then all I had to do before the dinner was assemble and throw them in the oven. Next, make the Greek dressing & Salad. A quick freshening up and then set the table & light some candles eh voila! So easy, hopefully so yummy and no stress by the time friends arrive, that way I too get to enjoy the party!


No comments:

Post a Comment